Monday, March 31, 2014

POUTING IS RIDICULOUS


And so am I.

Here's how I know…

Sometimes I find myself stuck in a *place* – stuck as the hostess at a big ol' Pity Party, where plenty of whine is served.

Yeah, it's all-too-easy for me to get stuck in a negative place.

I might have explanations for it, but these rarely make good excuses. 

So, here I was last week, fighting a cold, doing the taxes, thinking on life, and feeling sorry for myself.  (By the way, I have found that if you look for the clouds, the silver lining rarely appears – just sayin')

"The Hub" and I decided one day to head down the hill to do some *city things* we needed to do – the banking, the pharmacy, the car insurance, etc.  And, on this trip, we added this to our list – a visit to the BIG supermarket chain.

There is a wonderful little grocery store here in town, and we usually do our shopping up here.  It's convenient, and we like to support the local community.  But, once in awhile, we like to do a "big shopping", stocking up on non-refrigerated items, and it's good to get the savings down the hill.

On this day, we were also on a mission for church. 

You see, we have a local Help Center, a sort of thrift shop in town.  But it's also a place where the less-than-fortunate can get much-needed necessities – like food.  And once a year our church has a food drive to help them re-stock the shelves.

So, this is the setting in which I found myself – a big supermarket down the hill – the setting in which I found out how silly it is to pout.

As "The Hub" and I filled up the cart, I was pondering.  But when we started filling up the cart with food items that were obviously meant for children's lunch boxes, I started tearing up.  All I could picture was the faces of those kids.  How grateful they would be to have a juice box, or a peach cup, or a fruit roll-up.

It brought back so many memories of packing sack lunches for my boys.  The thoughts and feelings that I had when I did it – the love I had for them, the warm sense of being able to care for them, and provide nourishment for their day.

That's when it came to me – in some small way, we were giving other parents the ability to provide for their children.  Something they just might not be able to do on their own.

I'm not kidding, it brought me to near sobs right there in the aisle.

"The Hub" caught my eye – wondering and worrying about why I was on the verge of a melt-down.

All I could get out was something to the effect of how very foolish I had been lately.  How self-absorbed.  How short-sighted.

How my pouting had been so ridiculous.

I had been whining about superfluous things, when people were worried about enough food to eat.

I prayed right there in the aisle, asking the Lord to forgive me for being so shallow.  For losing sight of what's important.  For forgetting to thank Him for all the blessings that He bestows on my family…and me.

And I thanked Him for the privilege of being His hands and feet to those who are needy.

Though it's greatly uncomfortable when the Holy Spirit brings me to a moment of conviction, I am grateful that He does.

Because sometimes I really, really need it.  I need that moment of pause.  I need to be reminded of how *alive and well* that sinful nature is inside of me.

I need to be shown, once again, that all I have is His.  It all belongs to Him, and I am only the blessed receiver of gifts given to me by The Gracious Giver.  And, because of that, I also have the solemn responsibility to share His gifts with others…

I am blessed to be a blessing.

You are, too.

Pass it on…




Make us, we beseech thee, faithful stewards of thy great bounty. 



"And if you give even a cup of cold water to one of the least of my followers, you will surely be rewarded." (Matthew 10:42, NLT)

"Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done." (Proverbs 19:17, NIV)

"And the angel replied, 'Your prayers and gifts to the poor have been received by God as an offering!'" (Acts 10:4, NLT)

"You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" (Acts 20:35, NLT)

"When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required." (Luke 12:48, NLT)

"Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full--pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap." (Luke 6:38, NLT)

"Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too...Do everything without complaining and arguing...shining like bright lights..." (Philippians 2:4, 14-15, NLT)



What can you do today to bless someone else?



(SIDENOTE:  Might I just add that this post had absolutely nothing to do with any commentary about our generosity - but it is all about my attitude, and my conviction that God calls me to something bigger and better than complaining.  Besides, pouting causes wrinkles!!)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

27 comments:

  1. Sharon, I am sitting here reading this post and wiping tears from my eyes. What a wonderful breakthrough! I love your sweet heart and your lovely spirit.

    God bless you, precious friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Though it's greatly uncomfortable when the Holy Spirit brings me to a moment of conviction, I am grateful that He does." Me too! Thank you for sharing this so honestly - God is always working with us, isn't he? Gotta love that! I hope you have a wonderful week - your neighbor at "Hear It On Sunday" - I couldn't resist your title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful ministry your church does, Sharon! I too tend to have a lot of pouting. I remember writing a post about that in that I was going to be pouting about my work and was composing it in my head when at the same time I was trying to find room to put all the food we had away and then it dawned on me (slow learner here of God's provisions) that I was pouting on my work when I had such incredible blessings. I too had to apologize to God. I do like when God gently reminds us of really how good we have it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon, Your posts never fail to inspire, encourage and challenge me. God Bless and have a good week

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon! I read somewhere that the best cure for sadness is to do something for others. You are certainly bearing that out. And how wonderful to really feel the Holy Spirit at work in you, right in the middle of that grocery store.
    God bless your generosity, and may he smooth out your face to a wrinkle-less contenance! Unless you get all wrinkly from laughing. We'll allow that!

    Hugs,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post, Sharon. You and are on the same page and share the exact same heart today, sister. Not coincidence I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for touching my heart, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your love with these children and others in need. I'm always grateful for the times when God sharpens my senses regarding the needs of others, even when it hurts. You're a good soul, Sharon. God is expanding and extending his love through you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bottom line said it all... pouting causes wrinkles, on our faces and in our hearts. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this challenging post! How often I forget to thank the Lord for His wonderful provision.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This makes me smile Sharon. We miss the mark and loving God brings us back into alignment. Who wouldn't love a God like that. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharon, standing with my right hand in the air, proclaiming, "GUILTY!" We all host these ugly pity parties on occasion with plenty of whine flowing. But praise God for His grace and Holy Spirit's tender conviction, we don't stay at the party long! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Touching post that reminded me when D.L.Moody (or one of those great preachers) stopped in the middle of the street to make things right with God because he didn't want to take another step without doing so. Someone told him he just about got run over!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so grateful you and I hear the beckoning of the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, we'd be having whine at the party. The best part is when He shows a need, an opportunity, and we can be a part of what He's doing on this earth no matter how small. Love your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wish I had been here earlier. Honestly, I have been so out of it technologically that I didn't even know there was an earthquake in California. I can't say that I prayed for you and some other CA blog friends because I didn't know.

    Ignorance these days is NOT bliss.

    I loved this post. I have been pouting, and I know it. I am lamenting something that I can't change and need to just pray for God to show me what I can change, not in my life alone, but what I can change for others. Just being an instrument of His provision has given you great JOY.

    Sorry to be Debbie the Dumper these days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sharon! Stopping over from Bonnie's today.
    I've been guilty of pouting just like you. In fact just yesterday I was huffing and puffing on the way home from work because I had to stop to pick up a couple of things for dinner. Then the Holy Spirit reminded me that I am priviledged to be able to stop by the store to pick up a few things. Some people don't have the means to do this... (BLUSH)
    We have a pantry through our church too. You've inspired me to grab some staple food items to help replenish their stock.
    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Visiting from Sandy's place today, and I'm so glad I came by. I get this. And I get that awkwardness about writing about giving, too. You did a masterful job of presenting it with humility here. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our problems seem so large, until we remember many are without food, clothing and a computer that works. Our dreams sometimes fly out the window but God gives us new dreams! Thank you for your entry at “Tell Me a Story.” I have been off line due to computer failure and virus problems, but my husband gave me a different computer so I am back on line – just lost a bunch of stuff including my e-mail addresses..
    Please return Monday around 5:00PM PST when the new week will be open for your story at: http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how God uses the routines of life to work on us mightily. Your words blessed me today. I also agree that pouting causes wrinkles so I'm choosing to find the joy in my life each day. Visiting you from The Weekend Brew. Blessings, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wrote a post earlier this week how I was feeling weary and blue. Then, I invited a young single mama over to our house for dinner, and in the doing something for someone else my "blues" lifted! I think getting the focus off of me, myself and I and on to others is the antidote to self-pity. (And yes, I too through a good pity party sometimes.) I'm next to you at Janis' linky this week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sometimes it is very simple things that cause us the most conviction, isn't it? We are blessed that we don't always have to wait for lightening in the sky or a burning bush but that He speaks to us in the everydayness of our life connecting back to His words.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful. Thanking the Holy Spirit for kicking you out of your "pout" and bringing you back to the beauty of what the Lord can do.
    May you continue to listen to Him,
    blessings,
    Janis
    Thanks for the comment on Sunday Stillness - praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Blessed to be a blessing." YES! God blesses me so that I in turn can bless others. Thankful for the breakthrough that you had. Have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have had similar experiences in particularlly when God is bringing to an end the entitlement pouts. Have a good day! Over from Sunday Community

    ReplyDelete
  25. OVERWHELMING!

    OK, sometimes we all whine and/or pout!

    But I could identify with your meltdown while shopping ... been there, done that ...
    I'm just so sorry how I have not been here (there) for you to help you through ... and so thankful that "hubs" is and seemingly very understanding and compassionate PLUS I love that you both are so GIVING!

    You are "blessed to be a blessing" ...(we all are and should) ... hope this inspires more to be willing to give and pass it on! Simply beautiful! I'm amazed how you draw such strength and compile so much from the "ordinary" or extraordinary days in your life. I am so blessed by knowing you (via internet), I consider it an honor to share in your life journey and heart felt words that minister to me. I love you, Sharon and I love your heart ... tender YET so open and willing to love!

    (((hugs))) and praying for you,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes - it is a blessing when we have such opportunities to give. God pours into us so we might justly pour into others. His provision is sure - and He equips us to provide - His hands and feet and what-all other gifts and talents He's prepared in us for His glory. Take the joy in the blessing. You were "giving' - but you were also on the receiving end, too.
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have such a beautiful heart, Sharon. And I just love how you write and share your stories with us. Truly a delight my friend and always powerful nuggets to walk away with. THANK YOU. (Sorry for my delay in visiting. Had a mini-vacation and enjoyed being unplugged.) Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)